Skip to Content
Skip to Main Menu

What is a company tax return? And do I need an accountant to file it for me?

What is a company tax return? And do I need an accountant to file it for me?

All private limited companies must complete and file an annual company tax return (CT600) to HMRC. When filing your tax return you must work out whether you are liable to pay corporation tax and if so the amount which is owed. You are still required to file a return even if your company made a loss or if you do not have any corporation tax to pay.

Although there is no obligation to use a professional to prepare and file your tax return, many companies do choose to employ the services of an accountant to assist with this process. HMRC can levy financial penalties on any errors which are present on a submitted tax return, therefore, if you have any doubt in your ability to complete this correctly you should enlist an accountant to ensure you are meeting your obligations.

David Tattersall
Speak to a Handpicked Expert today

Hi there - I'm David from Handpicked Accountants. If you need help finding the right accountant, simply give me a call. My expertise is in connecting business owners with the very best professional services and I'm on hand to assist you today.

Subscribe to the newsletter and receive news, advice and key insights in your inbox every month

Thank you for subscribing to our newsletter. ×

By clicking submit you will receive the Handpicked Accountant newsletter. All emails include an unsubscribe link. You may opt-out at any time. See Privacy Policy.